Friday, August 14, 2015

It's getting so close!

It's getting so close...and I'm kind of freaking out.  I've already got a plane ticket, and a place to live.  But you know what I don't have yet?  A VISA.  Who knew I would have to wait until August to finish my application?

Well, first things first, it actually took until the beginning of August to get all of my financial aid 'go ahead's so I could get my CAS from the school I'm attending.  Then I was able to finish my visa application online.  Once I finished the application (and paid the fee) I had to go in for a biometrics visit at my 'local' (read: hour away) Application Support Center...which I had to wait days for.  And last, but certainly not least, that elusive 45mm by 35mm UK passport size photo.

I kept digging, and digging, and digging online to find somewhere that could take and print a photo this size.  As some of you may know, a US passport size photo is 2 inches by 2 inches.  I read through online forums, and through the UK visa website information over and over, but could not figure out how to take care of this.  One forum I found said that as long as *I* didn't cut the picture down, the British Consulate could.  (Like, send them a US size picture, and *they* can cut it.)  But this idea made me CrAzY nervous, because it costs at least $515 EACH TIME you have to send an application through, so if it failed the first time, well, I'm not made of money.

Then I emailed the International Student Advisory Centre on campus to ask about the photo.  They sent me the same website link with the photo requirements I looked up in the first place...

So what's a girl to do?  She drives her happy hind end down to Walgreens.  And guess what?  They have a UK Passport Photo setting on their photo machine.  Although it is not EXACT by any means in its measurments, it is pretty dang close.  And since it's in metric measurements, there isn't anything else I can do about it.

And now, it's shipped off!  Of course, I paid extra to one-day air my documents both directions, and I paid the extra fee to put my application at the front of the line when they receive it.

I promise, this post is not to say that I'm angry with any party mentioned in this post.  I'm not.  Mostly, I just wanted to document what happened in case there are other people out there going through the same struggles.  Although Walgreens worked for me, I also have heard that CVS may have a UK Passport Photo setting as well, so if you are looking to have one done in the US, those are the two places I would recommend contacting.

And now?  We wait.

Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Ashley -- when I studied in the UK I also had to wait until August to send in my visa application. I did the same thing you did (sent it priority mail, etc.) and it all worked out just fine! Please let me know if you need any advice on UK living -- I'm here for you! Make sure you get out of London during your free time to travel the UK. It will steal your heart as it stole mine. Good luck to you and can't wait to read about it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! I may take you up on the advice! And I have every intention of doing some traveling while I'm over there. :)

      Delete